An Overview OfDigital Radio
Radio is the waves based technology. This is among the most useful and important medium at present time. We cannot deny the importance of radio in present scenario. This medium is used by almost every age group for entertainment, gathering info and so on. Presently, uncountable range of radio channels has changing our mind set by providing and raisingauthentic and relevant topics.
Digital radio: radio of modern world
Previously, the market was completely occupied by the Analog radio but, their life was too short. Digital radio took their place and brings some magical changes in the world of radio. Now, digital radio is like a face of modern world. Reasons behind the popularity of digital radio are very crystal clear. Main causes behind the popularity of this radio are:
- Sound clarity: The best part of using digital radio is that it has crystal clear and crisp sound while the sound of analog radio was imperfect. The sound of analog radio was quite crackled and it creates lots of difficulties.
- Range: Digital radio has wider reach while analog radio has the limited and shorter range. Digital radio is advanced and can pick up the analogue stations sometimes.
- Tracking: Authorities can track the digital radios while tracking the analog radios was almost impossible. This tracking helps in the advertisement by providing the data of listener’s choice and priorities.
- Conversation: Digital radio has the feature of real-time conversation through software applications while analog had the one conversation at time.
Types of Modulation
Radio is the technology which is waves based. It needs a transmitter to change signals etc. For this, there are two types of modulations basically. These are:
- AM (Amplitude Modulation)
- FM (Frequency Modulation)
AM and FM are the two very famous methods of distributing the information over the air waves. These two methods are very different to each other. Difference between AM and FM:
- Frequency:A main difference of these two modulations istheir frequencies basically.FM works between 88-108MHz while AM works at 540-1650 KHz.
- Quality of the signal: Signal quality is another major difference between these two modulations. FM has more superior signal quality than AM. In FM we get filtered audio while noise signals are hard to filter out in AM.
- Fade:Fade or fading is considered to power distinctions through signal transmission. Fading is more important in AM as compared to FM. This is the only reason that AM frequently face the issues while FM have good ratio.
- Bandwidth:FM has bandwidth consumption of 80 KHz while AM consumes around 30 KHz. More number of bandwidth allows more numbers of signals.
- Consumption of power: FM is based on signal transmission so it has more amount of power consumption than AM.
Radio is an important part of today’s life style for different purposes. The technology of radio is still growing and improvingand one day it will be among the most useful mediums.